How To Write A Narrative Speech Or Essay
A narrative speech or essay tells a story mostly about a personal experience. This type of essay is closely made up of facts. The structure of the essay uses a certain type of order in the expression of ideas. Anecdotes are applied as a style of writing to engage the audience and relate the emotional state of the reader to them. The type of emotion that the reader gets from a piece of writing depends on how a writer expresses his/her ideas, whether the reader gets a sense of humor or serious emotion from the writing all depends on the writer.
There are three primary characteristics of good narrative essays:
- Clear and well-organized ideas
- The narrative essays revolve on a central theme.
- The essays possess specific evidence to provide support for the expressed theme
Common magazines like New Yorker present published very long narratives and at times referred to as long-format journalism. For an essay to be effective, however, it does not necessarily have to belong, it can be as short as five well-organized paragraphs that present well-understood information.
The overall format or outline followed by most essays includes:
- The introduction – it is the essay opener paragraph. This is where the writer has the opportunity to grab the attention of the reader and keep them wanting to know what the whole paper entails. This paragraph only provides an amount of information enough to let the reader know whether to keep reading or not.
- The body – this is the central part of the essay, its heart. It usually comprises a length of three to five paragraphs. Each paragraph should be a small contribution to the larger topic, each independently providing a single example such as an individual anecdote.
- The conclusion – this paragraph is the final one in the essay. It is made up of a summation of all the ideas expressed in the essay. It brings an ending to the narrative essay with other writers employing the use of a takeaway or an epilogue sometimes.
Essay topics of narratives
Like the other essays, finding the best topic for your narrative essay is the most challenging part. The chosen topic should be one that the writer can tell a well-developed tale chronologically. The chosen topic should be interesting and capable of capturing the attention of the reader.
There are three main types of essays and narrative stories are one of them. Other essay types are:
- Descriptive essays – these essays employ the use of description of an item, person, experience, or place to help the writer accomplish their subject or objective.
- Argumentative essays – in this type of essay the writer takes an argument, taking a specific side and through analysis and research involve the reader by trying to persuade them to agree to an argument.
- Expository essays – there is a lot of analysis and research involved in this type of essay just as in the argumentative essays. The major aim of this essay is to expose readers to certain information.